Skip to main content

Christian Cleric Issues a Fatwa

So, you thought only Muslim clerics issued fatwas instructing the faithful to kill? You would be wrong. Click on the above link to go to CNN to see Christian terrorist leader Pat Robertson calling for the assassination of a world leader, specifically, Venezuela's Hugo Chavez, (scroll down about half-way to find the video link). Robertson's beef with Chavez is two-fold: 1) Robertson says Chavez is a communist dictator who will turn Venezuela into a Cuban style communist state which will then threaten the U.S., but more importantly, 2) Chavez may shut off shipments of oil to the U.S. (Venezuela is third on the list of places the U.S. buys it's oil from.)

From my time in Seminary, I know that there has long been a debate over whether the sixth Commandment is supposed to read, "Thou shall not kill," or, "Thou shall not murder." The difference being that 'kill' would seem to contradict the capitol punishment system that the Judeo-Christian god establishes early on as well as the concept of war, while 'murder' leaves room for killing in the name of the people or state (capitol punishment) and war. I do not intend this to be a rant on either war, or capitol punishment, what I am saying here is, either way, Pat Robertson is violating the spirit and the letter of the law by publicly calling for a world leader to be killed. One has to wonder then why Robertson and his ilk are so keen on having the Ten Commandments on federal land when they themselves are so quick and so willing to break the commandments whenever they see fit. If I recall correctly, there's a word for that, hhmmm, what was it? Oh yeah, hypocrite!

I think this also establishes the validity of what I and others have been saying about the correlations between extremism and religion, no matter what god one prays to. Extremist terrorists all look the same, whether they are bombing a barber shop in Iraq because the barbers there have cut men's beards (which violates Islamic law somehow) or bombing women's clinics in Alabama for performing abortions.

Comments

Apple said…
Here! Here! I share your feelings completely on this matter!

It is incredible to me what is justified -and even in the name of God.

Popular posts from this blog

How Boring

OK, so I decided that I wasn't going to write anything political, that I was just gonna write about personal stuff. And I haven't written a thing in two weeks. How boring is my life? But I've got some stuff coming.....

Bush Lied and People Died

I just can't stand it anymore. Read the Downing Street Memo , and you'll see that President Bush lied to the American people when he told us in his State of the Union address that the U.S. wasn't yet committed to the path of war. He lied again when he said that Saddam Hussein had tried to purchase uranium in Niger, Africa. Joseph Wilson , who is a diplomat that was sent to Niger in order to check these allegations, said that Bush was lying. Wilson was then smeared in the media by the Bush administration, and his wife Valerie Plame, an active CIA operative (working on finding WMD in the world), was "outed" by Karl Rove and Robert Novak. Bush lied when he told us that Al Queda and Saddam Hussein had "high level" talks. Every government committee that studied 9/11 said there was no credible evidence to support that. But its not just Georgie. Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld lied when he went on "This Week with George Stephanopolis" and said h

Donald Rumsfeld on CNN

8:15AM Pacific Time: Sittin here watchin Wolf interview Rummy on Late Edition, and Rummy is talking about why it's not a good idea to pull out of Iraq right now. He's talking about, and I paraphrase, "If we establish a timeline for pull-out, then we're telling the insurgents that they only have to wait until we're gone, and if we do that, they will wait, and then unleash a blood bath when we're gone." Goddamit, I hate it when I have to agree with one of these trolls. But, sadly, no matter how much we hate the Bush administration, truth, from any source is still truth. And the truth is, the insurgents will wait, and they will unleash a blood-bath. What Rummy doesn't say is, all that will be our fault. I have to say it, though it pains me to do so, I do think it's irresponsible to call for an immediate troop withdrawal from Iraq, because of what I said above. I believe that what the democrats need to keep harping on is the fact that pre-war intell