Skip to main content

The Holidays Sucked

I would have to say that this has been the worst holiday season I’ve experienced
in a very long time. It’s not anybody’s fault, in fact
there’s no blame to be laid at all.

See, just before Thanksgiving, I had a horrible cold. I was miserable over the
holiday weekend. Soon after turkey day, the need for me to have my wisdom teeth
pulled became painfully evident. I haven’t been able to chew on the left side of
my mouth since November, and sometimes my mouth hurts a lot, and sometimes not
so much. But it’s okay, the long wait for me to be on Jessica’s insurance is
over, and I will soon have an appointment with an oral surgeon, so I
know that this is a pain that will soon come to an end.

Xmas was hard because Jess and I are so broke. We had to buy new tires
unexpectedly, and, well, never mind… suffice to say that at the end of December,
there was only $13.00 in the savings account. We didn’t have enough to get each
other anything. This is not a plea for money! We knew what we were in for when I
started back to school. Our current poverty is a short lived step to bigger
things. And Jessica has been a rock as far as everything has been concerned. It
has been her budgeting that has kept us solvent. And she has cooked soft foods
in new and exciting ways to get me through this thing with my teeth. It’s a good
thing I actually like tofu.

But the “suckiness” of all that pales in comparison to the pain I have in my
heart right now that I have to tell you about. A few days ago we took Sophie in to
the Veterinarian’s office. We’ve known for years that her breed is prone (as are
most of the larger, barrel chested dogs) to spine and hip problems. We just
thought we’d see it earlier and that it would progress much slower. That was not
fated to be the case because just within the last 6 weeks has she lost the use
of her rear left leg. She has a congenital disease in her spine that will
ultimately cause her to be paralyzed “below the waist” and to become
incontinent. The Vet has prescribed a regimen of glucosimine/chondroitin and
some doggie ibuprofen for her pain, but we were told that she may or may not
respond much or at all because of the extremeness and suddenness of the onset.
We were pretty much told that within roughly 2 to 8 months we’re going to have
to put our good girl to sleep.

I’m sure I’ve told you the story of how Jessica and I got together: When she and
Sophie moved in to the apartments I was managing all those years ago, Jessica told me I could go up
to her place while she was gone during the day and bring the dog down to my
place. So I did just that, and when Jessica would get home in the evening, she
had to come down to my place to get Sophie. Sophie and I had taken to each other
right away and I like to consider her my willing accomplice in Jess and I
getting together. I choose to believe that Sophie picked me. That was almost 8
years ago. For that long, Jess and I have been “Mommy” and “Daddy” to Sophie.
Knowing we aren’t going to have children we’ve poured our love into her, she’s
our baby, she's our family.

She’s gone from a happy, playful dog that looked forward to going to the
off-leash dog park where she could run, to a dog in pain. It’s a struggle for
her to go outside and she falls down often and looks up at me like she can't
understand what's happening, like she’s sorry
to be a trouble. My heart is broken 3 times a day taking her outside. I haven’t
cried this much since I don’t know when. I think I
would gnaw off my own arm if it would help her. She spends most of her time on a
pad I made for her on the floor because she can’t get up on the couch any more.
She looks up at us and I can see that her mind is all there and she’s got the
heart to go on, and I just turn in to a blubbering, inarticulate mess. Jess sees
me and starts crying too.

Anyway, I don't know why I unleashed all this on you, dear readers. I guess I just needed to get this stuff off my chest. I guess I'm just feeling sorry for myself. I promise to be back to ranting against republicans soon.

Comments

TheEmperfect said…
Gosh, that sucks. =(

Read Let Go. Wil Wheaton had to put his cat down last year.

Popular posts from this blog

Donald Rumsfeld on CNN

8:15AM Pacific Time: Sittin here watchin Wolf interview Rummy on Late Edition, and Rummy is talking about why it's not a good idea to pull out of Iraq right now. He's talking about, and I paraphrase, "If we establish a timeline for pull-out, then we're telling the insurgents that they only have to wait until we're gone, and if we do that, they will wait, and then unleash a blood bath when we're gone." Goddamit, I hate it when I have to agree with one of these trolls. But, sadly, no matter how much we hate the Bush administration, truth, from any source is still truth. And the truth is, the insurgents will wait, and they will unleash a blood-bath. What Rummy doesn't say is, all that will be our fault. I have to say it, though it pains me to do so, I do think it's irresponsible to call for an immediate troop withdrawal from Iraq, because of what I said above. I believe that what the democrats need to keep harping on is the fact that pre-war intell

My Ass

Sprizee , in a comment on one of my posts, had this to say: "All this talk about your ass and NO PICTURE. What gives??? ;) " Mind you, I never said my ass was anything special. But I'll see if I can't get Jessica to snap a pic and I'll post it.

How Boring

OK, so I decided that I wasn't going to write anything political, that I was just gonna write about personal stuff. And I haven't written a thing in two weeks. How boring is my life? But I've got some stuff coming.....